StatCounter

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On my mind

I've slowly discovered people come into my life for a reason, or rather all the people in my life have something to offer me in the way of personal growth and it's my responsibility to learn from them. New friends, co-workers and rediscovered family members have helped me remember to build on different aspects of my growth and without them, I would not have learned much in these areas. Everyone we meet should be - hopefully not too consciously - sized up for usefulness and farmed for knowledge and insight. I've heard it said that we should always try to keep company with people who are smarter than we are. I agree and would add that your people just need to have something you need. Most of my friends are smarter than me in one area or another and help me grow in that area, but some also or instead, just teach me about myself or about how to be a better person.
When I recognized this enigma, I started to notice just how brilliant some of the people are around me. When we are asking questions and discussing different topics than usual, we find a huge knowledge base in some of our quiet friends, and incredible insight in others. Young people look around at your friends and family. Ask yourself what each is offering you, and what you're offering them. You might not see the answers right away, but they might come to you when you least expect it.

No comments: